Thursday, April 23, 2009

Straits Times Reflection 10

Question 1. What are some of the problems involved in separating a conjoined twin?

Answer: Problems such as severe chest infection. Also, complications and fatal problems with spinal cord are some problems faced during and after the separation. Separation of a conjoined twin can leave one with serious brain damage or a major problem of excessive blood loss. It can also cause death if too much blood is lost.

Question 2. If you were a part of a conjoined twin, would you rather stay together with your twin for the rest of your life or would you risk both your lives to go for an operation? Why?

Answer: Honestly, if I am old enough to realise I am a conjoined twin, I definitely would go for an operation. Going for an operation dosen't mean sure-death. Sometimes, miracles happen and after the operation, we can be seperated but without fatal injuries or sickness. I believe in the miracles which will happen when you have the will to keep on pushing, never falling back and not regreting the decisions you make in your life. No one can choose your own route except yourself. Only you decide what route you yourself take. And immediately, once you decide, you have got to be willing and risk your life for it. And when that happens, you have absolutely NO fear of death and that's when miracles start to come. If my twin and I were to stick together forever, then wouldn't it be distrubing? I mean, think about it. I'd have to do this that everything together and other normal children might laugh at you. Even worst, students will bully my twin or me for what I am and sometimes, even the teachers might despise you. Everybody might think I'm a strange person and wouldn't want to befriend my twin or me. I mean like, even if the operation fails, is it your wrong? What do you have to be afraid of? Death? No! You did nothing wrong, the operation just failed. I don't think God punishes for that man! Hey! Absolute no fear of death is the courage needed to undergo an operation like seperating conjoined twins. If your disabled due to operation, there is always a possibility that you can heal again. I've heard of dozen of miracles happening before in many places and I believe that those who strive for the best will beat the rest. So, if I am a conjoined twin and am able to think, I would go for the operation-be it LIFE or DEATH or DISABLED.

1 comment: